Friday, January 27, 2012

Da Nian Chu Yi: Dinner with Friends


Dinner on Nian Chu Yi
My initial plan was to prepare hot and sour steamed whole fish for this potluck dinner we attended on the first day of Chinese New Year. But, after spending the efforts to gather side ingredients and everything else which needed, we found out that the Supa IGA in Clifford Garden (our favorite place in town to get fresh whole fishes, crabs, and other seafood) was actually closing down with only very limited items left for sale. Therefore, plane plan crashed and burned... No steamed whole fish for the night, and definitely no more seafood and groceries shopping there in the future, yet still, the dinner must go on! So I came up with the idea of replacing the fish with prawns instead. In Hokkien we say, "Boh hu hae mah ho", which literally means, "If there are no fishes, prawns are just as good."

Dinner on Nian Chu Yi
Grilled Butter Prawns made by me and my BB, and we've got Longan & Rambutan Sweet Soup for after-meal dessert.

Dinner on Nian Chu Yi
Stir Fried Vegetables with Red Fermented Beancurd. It reminds me of my mommy's cooking, she used to cook this dish very often when I was a kid. Aww, how I miss the taste and smell. Last night, I couldn't help but prepared the same recipe with slightly different ingredients such as dried golden mushrooms (金针) for wealth, glass noodle / cellophane noodles ( 粉絲) for long life, dried beancurd sticks (腐竹) for blessing the house, dried black fungus (木耳) for longevity, and chicken (鸡肉) for prosperity, joy and togetherness of the family.

Dinner on Nian Chu Yi
Curry Chicken, not very spicy, loved it. Even better if it was served with fried noodles.

Dinner on Nian Chu Yi
Look at us!!! All wearing so red on the first day of Chinese New Year. See my red shorts? That red jacket hanging on the chair was mine too! Btw, I brought home two little souvenirs given by baby Preston that night, something red and marked on my right arm. Take a guess...

Da Nian Chu Yi: Dinner with Friends
Love bites / curry chicken (in Cantonese) / strawberries (in Mandarin), haha xD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear readers,

Thanks for all your lovely comments and continual visits.
Hope I'll see you again soon! (✿◠‿◠)

xoxo,
Christina

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...