Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Bali in June: Civet Coffee / Kopi Luwak at Sai Land Cafe Luwak


Bali in June: Civet / Luwak Coffee at Sai Land Cafe Luwak
“猫屎咖啡” aka Kopi Luwak or Civet Coffee doesn't sound appetizing at all just by hearing its name alone. I've always heard of it in the movies, the TV series, and people praising about it until our recent Kintamini Tour on the third day in Bali. We finally got a taste of this special coffee and it was eye opening.

Btw, that's our Kicap on my left in the background. "Kicap" literally means soy sauce in Indonesian or "tao eu" in Hokkien which has similar pronunciation as tour guide in Mandarin Chinese. We kinda nicknamed him and he liked it too, I presume. LOL.

Shout out to the kindest and friendliest tour guide in Bali! We missed ya, Kicap =)

Bali in June: Civet / Luwak Coffee at Sai Land Cafe Luwak
Entering the Sai Land Plantation. No entrance fee required.

Bali in June: Civet / Luwak Coffee at Sai Land Cafe Luwak
You will walk through a garden filled with a variety of herbs and fruit plants including cocoa and coffee to come to a little kitchen where the process of preparing Kopi Luwak or Civet Coffeee is demonstrated. 

Bali in June: Civet / Luwak Coffee at Sai Land Cafe Luwak
Civet feces with embedded coffee beans. I read that only coffee berries containing better beans are eaten by the civets and the taste is improved via fermentation in its digestive tract. Impressive, huh?

Bali in June: Civet / Luwak Coffee at Sai Land Cafe Luwak
Manual (hand-powered) grinder.
Grinding coffee is an important step in achieving a good cup of coffee.

Bali in June: Civet / Luwak Coffee at Sai Land Cafe Luwak
The Asian Palm Civet. You'll see me cuddling one like a baby soon in my coming post ;)

Bali in June: Civet / Luwak Coffee at Sai Land Cafe Luwak
Finally, it's the long-awaited coffee-tasting time!!!

Bali in June: Civet / Luwak Coffee at Sai Land Cafe Luwak
We were offered a special exclusive experience to taste Bali Coffee, Bali Cocoa, Chocolate Coffee, Ginseng Coffee, Ginger tea and Lemongrass Tea, FOC! Ginseng Coffee was my favorite among the six.

Bali in June: Civet / Luwak Coffee at Sai Land Cafe Luwak
Sharing is caring. We would have to share since there were seven of us in the group.

Bali in June: Civet / Luwak Coffee at Sai Land Cafe Luwak
I'm not a fan of coffee or shall I confess I rarely drink coffee because of my gastric problem. But, I'm willing to try! Betting my life for it xD

Bali in June: Civet / Luwak Coffee at Sai Land Cafe Luwak
Hmm, how should I put this? It has a strong bitter taste without any sugar and milk in it, finished powder-ish (probably due to no filtering was done) and it leaves no sour aftertaste, which was good enough for a non-coffee drinker like me.

Bali in June: Civet / Luwak Coffee at Sai Land Cafe Luwak
In the souvenir store, they've got Bali Luwak Coffee for sale at 160,000 rupiah per pack and many others to choose from. Feel free to grab some for your relatives and friends.

1 comment:

  1. It's good to know about Civet Coffee. You have a nice bunch of information about it. Quite impressive. Thank you for sharing. I should try it someday.

    Regard

    ReplyDelete

Dear readers,

Thanks for all your lovely comments and continual visits.
Hope I'll see you again soon! (✿◠‿◠)

xoxo,
Christina

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...